While CMS systems have been positioned as enterprise applications for many years, organizations have not typically implemented them on an enterprise level. Rather, they have primarily adopted CMS systems at a department level, leaving broader CMS integration as an afterthought.
This creates problems in interdepartmental processes such as publishing, in which knowledge workers may be on one system that's intended for use by everyone in the organization, while the publishing team or Creative Services group is on a different content or asset management system specialized for publishing processes.
How Content Management System Integration Can Help
CMS Integration with your publishing system can address several challenges posed by the use of multiple systems. Some of these problems are:
- Content assets are often stored in both systems at the same time, which leads to redundancy and opens the door for errors because users don't know which system has the most current version of the asset. Maintaining dual repositories also requires that metadata attributes (information about those assets) be continuously synchronized.
- When you want to use assets from another system, you have to find them and transfer them to your own system.
- Differences between enterprise CMS and publishing systems — for example, in user interfaces, data structures, and other capabilities — make searching, sharing, and reusing content and assets even more time-consuming.
CMS Integration with Quark Publishing Software
Quark Publishing Platform with Microsoft SharePoint
Quark Publishing Platform integrates with Microsoft SharePoint through a ready-made adapter from Quark, delivering the benefits described above. Other content management systems can be integrated with Quark Publishing Platform by using WebDAV technology.
Quark Publishing Platform integration with CMS systems provides several key capabilities:
- Publishing capabilities (such as generating PDF files from QuarkXPress projects) are available to knowledge workers from the CMS user interface
- Task assignments, workflow notifications, and project management functions are available to both publishing teams and knowledge workers
- Any changes made to assets (including metadata) through one system are immediately available to the other system
- You can check-in/out any file with either system
- Both systems recognize file locks to respect security and privileges
CMS Integration with Quark XML Author
Quark XML Author integrates with Microsoft SharePoint, EMC Documentum and IBM FileNet Content Manager through ready-made adapters from Quark. The integration of Quark XML Author with CMS systems helps organizations that use structured content improve their content creation processes.
The key capabilities of CMS integration with Quark XML Author include:
- You can manage all of the business content created across your enterprise in a single system.
- Multiple authors can work on different components of a document at the same time, which saves time compared to taking turns.
- Instead of handing off content to others, subject matter experts can contribute content directly, which reduces errors and effort.
- All authors can easily search for and reuse content from existing publications, which speeds content creation.